Random Seed Games
Based in Monticello, Iowa
PC / Mac / Linux
Lacuna Passage is a story-driven exploration and survival game set on Mars, drawing inspiration from titles like Dear Esther, Gone Home, and even Pokemon Snap. You play as Jessica Rainer, the only survivor of the crashed Heracles mission, investigating the disappearance of the first ever manned mission to Mars. You have several tools at your disposal, but most important are your skills of observation. You will need to uncover mission logs, recorded audio files, and other physical clues left behind at critical mission locations in order to uncover the story. An interplanetary trail of breadcrumbs is waiting for you. There are 25 square miles of open terrain around the crash site for you to explore, and in order to find the missing crew of the Hermes you won’t want to explore blindly. You must carefully manage your vital resources or you will find yourself stranded in the great red wasteland with no food, water, or oxygen. Will you simply survive and wait for rescue, or will you risk your own life to find the truth? Time and nature are your enemies in Lacuna Passage.
Lacuna Passage was inspired originally by the successful landing of the Curiosity rover on Mars in August 2012 and the game has since captured the attention of gamers and space enthusiasts around the world. The project raised over $54,000 on Kickstarter in July of 2013 and has since been approved through the Steam Greenlight process. Random Seed Games is focused on creating a science-fiction interactive experience that might inspire others to get interested in space travel and science.
- Terrain generated from actual Mars satellite data.
- Survival mechanics based on real metrics like blood glucose, heart rate, caloric intake, and more.
- In-game photography that allows you to capture any moment and document your discoveries.
- An immersive HUD that is accurate to potential future space exploration physical display technologies.
- A hauntingly beautiful dynamic soundtrack that responds to your actions.
- A mysterious single-player story that encourages non-linear play.
Lacuna Passage Prologue Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Check back after we submit to some competitions!" Soon...
- "... I love how [Lacuna Passage] is prioritising the brutality of just existing on an alien planet..."
- Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
- "... as the wind disturbs the red waste, and dust devils flit across the surface, it strikes me as a game world I desperately want to experience while wearing an Oculus Rift."
- Craig Pearson, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "[Lacuna Passage] has captured the imagination of many space and science fiction fans in the indie gaming community."
- Patrick Hogan, Mashable
Follow the latest in the game's development randomseedgames.com.
About Random Seed Games
Random Seed Games is an independent game developer working on unique experiences for the PC.
More information on Random Seed Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lacuna Passage Credits
Designer, Random Seed Games
Lead Artist, Random Seed Games
3D Artist, Collaborator
Concept Artist, 3D Artist